Saturday, January 22, 2011

Ivins' Spiced Mini Cremes



Ivins' Spiced Mini Cremes are a hidden gem in the grocery aisle. That is, if you can find them. They are the love children of a ginger snap and an Oreo (or Hydrox, if you prefer). Their special spiced wafers bear a certain resemblance to ginger snaps, but transcend them in almost every way (darker, spicier, molassesier and, well, better). They come in a mouth-pleasing bite size, and the cookie is better than any other hard cookie on the market, be it chocolate, vanilla, or ginger flavored. The creme is more than passable, and I would choose Ivins' Spiced Mini Cremes over any package of Oreos or non-cream ginger snaps. They're just perfect. They're especially good with an iced coffee!

This is a classic example, however, of demand exceeding supply. The most frustrating aspect is the fact that they are so good yet,

1) They're not available year-round. Why are spice flavored products only available in autumn? Are you telling me that people wouldn't eat these at any time of the year? Oreos are enjoyed year-round, so why not these?
2) They're not available outside the Philadelphia area, apparently. I've read lengthy lamentations bemoaning the fact that they cannot be found in most areas of the US. Much like the beloved Tastykake, they seem to have a very loyal local following and could probably do alright branching out to a wider audience.
3) Even regionally, they're difficult to find. I was able to find this brand, which is the best of all the regional ginger snap producers, at only one store in the area (Acme). Acme, unfortunately, happens to be one of my least favorite stores to shop in. And, of course, Acme doesn't even keep them in the cookie aisle. My local store had a display that they kept moving all around the place so I had to go on a scavenger hunt every single time I looked for them. Sometimes, I was unsuccessful and couldn't find them. To make matters worse, the workers sometimes didn't even know where the display moved to! (Typical Acme..)
4) They don't have an acceptable website for consumers. I think that people would be more than willing to buy them directly from the company online, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

When I managed to find them at Acme, I paid $2.00 for a box. That's a great value for the best of the 'Spice and Molasses' cookie options, and these mini cremes are indeed even better than regular spice cookies. Still, I wish that Ivins' Spiced Mini Cremes were sold in more stores and for a longer period of time!

What I Should Have Bought: A couple more boxes to get me through the long, hard summer months.

1 comment:

gourmetman said...

My Mom sends me tasty Ivins Spiced Mini Cremes from the Aruntx Store. http://aruntx.com/